Thursday, September 09, 2004

THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE

Once again, American's are being told that they are not worth greatness. Although we are drilled to believe America is the best nation in the world, neither of the major Presidential Candidates is willing to stand up to this claim. Let's consider an obvious case: Health care.
George W. Bush says that health care is a commodity, a priviledge; something for the rich. Being part of the best country in history apparently does not mean you're going to better off than anyone in, say, Canada.
John Kerry is saying that health care is the right of all but 14 million people. His "universal health care" is anything but universal; by his own admission, it leaves out 14 million people. Who cares? They are only the poorest 14 million anyways. And they probably do not vote.

The USA currently spends 1000 dollars more per capita for health care than Canada (more than any other nation in the world, in fact), and yet produces less efficient care and does not cover everybody. If we moved to a single-payed system, keeping even the same amount of money we use now for health care, we could surely produce the best health care for everyone, regardless of income or employment.

And thanks to Physicians For a Universal Health Care, we now see that For-profit hospitals are more costly to taxpayers than non-profit hospitals.

For-Profit Hospitals are Costlier Than Non-Profits




For-Profit Hospitals are Costlier Than Non-Profits, Study Finds
Evidence Against For-Profit Health Care Now Conclusive


Investor-owned hospitals have 19% higher charges than non-profit hospitals, according to a study appearing today in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. The study, the most comprehensive analysis comparing for-profit and non-profit facilities, was carried out by a highly respected team of physicians and statisticians at McMaster University led by Dr. PJ Devereaux. That team had previously reported that investor-owned hospitals have 2% higher death rates. The researchers, though based in Canada, used data from U.S. hospitals, since for-profits are rare in Canada. The possible introduction of for-profit hospitals is expected to be a campaign issue in upcoming Canadian elections.

In an accompanying editorial, Drs. Steffie Woolhandler and David Himmelstein of Harvard Medical School calculate that converting all investor-owned hospitals (13 percent of U.S. hospitals) to non-profit ownership could have saved $6 billion of the $37 billion spent on care at investor-owned hospitals in 2001.

“Investor-owned hospitals charge outrageous prices for inferior care.” said Dr. Steffie Woolhandler. “That’s not just an opinion, it’s now a proven fact. The for-profits skimp on nurses, but spend lavishly on their executives and paper-pushers.” Previous research by Drs. Woolhandler and Himmelstetin, based on financial filings by virtually all U.S. hospitals, found that administration accounted for 24.5% of total costs at non-profit hospitals vs. 34% at for-profits, while payroll costs for clinical personnel were 7 percentage points higher at non-profits.

Dr. Woolhandler also noted that: “Previous studies have shown a consistent pattern - investor-ownership compromises care and raises costs. For-profit dialysis clinics have higher death rates. For-profit nursing homes deliver lower quality care. For profit hospices give dying patients less care. For-profit rehab facilities cost Medicare more. And for profit HMOs deliver poor quality care and have extraordinarily high overhead costs. In fact, the Congressional Budget Office has concluded that HMOs actually increases Medicare costs by at least $2 billion each year – and President Bush and the Republicans in Congress just handed them an extra $46 billion in the Medicare drug billDr. Himmelstein, Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard commented: “For-profit hospitals milk the system for legal, but outrageous payments for executives and shareholders. And they also routinely bilk the system through fraud. Columbia/HCA – the largest hospital firm - paid a $1.7 billion settlement for overbilling Medicare last year. Tenet – the second largest - paid a half a billion dollars to settle fraud and abuse charges in the 1980’s (when the firm was known as NME) and is under investigation again for massive billing fraud, and performing hundreds of unnecessary heart operations. And HealthSouth – which dominates the rehab hospital market – just admitted to $3.4 billion in fraudulent accounting. In each case, the CEO who presided over the fraud was forced out. But only after Columbia/HCA’s got $324 million, Tenet’s received $111 million, and HealthSouth’s pocketed $112 million. In health care, crime pays handsomely.”

The researchers at McMaster are considered leading experts on research methodology. The team of 20 researchers reviewed 788 medical articles on hospital care, eventually honing in on the 8 highest quality and most relevant studies – which included a total of 350,000 patients and a median of 324 hospitals in each study. They contacted the original authors to verify the findings, then used advanced statistical techniques to combine the 8 studies. Of the 8 studies, only one showed that for-profits had lower costs. However, all of the non-profit hospitals included in this study were managed by a for-profit firm – in other words, both groups of hospitals in the study were under for-profit management.

“We can no longer afford to leave health care to the marketplace” said Dr. Quentin Young, National Coordinator of Physicians for a National Health Program. “This study demonstrates the marvelous opportunities for improved health services when the U.S. adopts a national health insurance system (single-payer) based on traditional not-for-profit care.”
________________

“The High Costs of For-Profit Care” Steffie Woolhandler and David U. Himmelstein. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 1814-1815, June 8, 2004.

“Payments for Care at Private For-Profit and Private Not-for-Profit Hospitals: A Systemic Review and Meta-Analysis” P.J. Devereaux et al, Canadian Medical Association Journal, 1817-1824, June 8, 2004.

A bibliography of references on the negative impact of investor-ownership on health care is also available.

####

Physicians for a National Health Program (www.pnhp.org) is an organization of 12,000 physicians advocating for non-profit national health insurance. PNHP has chapters and spokespeople across the country. For contacts, call (312) 782-6006.

29 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

umdnj new jersey medical school surfing tonight I saw your blog. I liked it and wondered how you did that? Anyway, its a cool umdnj new jersey medical school site...

Jon

October 1, 2005 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

October 2, 2005 at 4:06 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

I have a health safety news
site. It pretty much covers health safety news
related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

October 6, 2005 at 5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

University of Phoenix Online Focuses on Team Learning

Unlike some other schools, the University of Phoenix Online focuses on Team Learning. For all classes, team assignments can make up to 20% of the student’s total grade. Consequently, students get more than they bargained for when pursuing an education at Phoenix’s online university (UoP online). Find detailed discussion on
online accredited law schools

November 2, 2005 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Jaynne said...

Now here is a site that has put all the health resources under one hat. Just go an see.**Ju Health** Their webmaster has also gone through some trouble finding interested and health related article. I signed up for their newsletter **Health and Wellness in the 21st Century** and you may want to do so as well since their newsletter person will covering "the baseline of health". So far the topics covered have been pretty interesting. I can't wait to read what they have to say about detoxification of the body. You are even allowed to submit your own article.

November 2, 2005 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger blaze said...

Great site very informative topics on cheap medical insurance.
I have been working on a site about cheap medical insurance
and would be very pleased if you would take a look and let me know what you think.

November 13, 2005 at 12:38 AM  
Anonymous health insurance portland said...

Hey this blog is not about health insurance massachusetts. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on health insurance massachusetts and it brought me to your blog on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog JackF e04 and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

November 26, 2005 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous dental health insurance said...

Well this blog certainly is not about health insurance raleigh. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching health insurance raleigh and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from health insurance raleigh anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching health insurance raleigh.
Even though my search is not on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

November 27, 2005 at 10:41 PM  
Anonymous health insurance massachusetts said...

Hey this blog is not about columbus health insurance. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on columbus health insurance and it brought me to your blog on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog JackF e04 and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

November 28, 2005 at 5:58 AM  
Anonymous columbus health insurance said...

Hey this blog is not about health insurance nashville. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on health insurance nashville and it brought me to your blog on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog JackF e04 and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

November 28, 2005 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous health insurance net said...

Hey this blog is not about health insurance raleigh. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on health insurance raleigh and it brought me to your blog on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog JackF e04 and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

November 29, 2005 at 7:01 AM  
Anonymous health insurance nashville said...

Well this blog certainly is not about dental health insurance. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching dental health insurance and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from dental health insurance anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching dental health insurance.
Even though my search is not on THE COST OF PROFITABLE HEALTH CARE I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

November 29, 2005 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

From time to time we find a blog interesting enough to read. Yours is in that category.

My partner and I have this interesting marketing sydney viral tool. It is a cool and effective marketing sydney viral tool.

December 18, 2005 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a work at home site/blog. It pretty much covers work at home related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

December 19, 2005 at 6:48 AM  
Anonymous payday cash advance said...

good information

January 10, 2006 at 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Dental Health said...

Hi there! Glad I found this place with like minded people. Doing a good job looks like.
All the best, Dental Health

January 16, 2006 at 3:25 AM  
Blogger TimmyPowers said...

I was expecting something different when I visited your blog. Well I think the information on this blog is great. I have my own blog and I wish I got half as many comments as your blog does. Anyways, I am a fill in teacher at a local high school and I am always doing research on various areas of interest. This weeks topic relates 85% to your blog. I already bookmarked you for future use. If you want to exchange information I will leave my link at the bottom of this. If you don�t mind I will add my 2 cents to this blog topic once in awhile. Although most of the time I just like to read and see what other people�s thoughts are! (hey I am a teacher!)
Thanks again!cheap individual health insurance.

January 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I was not sure to expect when I visited your blog. Well I think the information on this blog is great. I have my own blog and I wish I got half as many constructive comments as your blog does. Anyways, I am a teacher at a University and I am always doing research on various topics. This weeks topic relates 100% to your blog. I already bookmarked you for future use. If you want to exchange information I will leave my link at the bottom of this. If you don�t mind I will add my 2 cents to this blog topic once in awhile. Although most of the time I just like to read and see what other people�s thoughts are! (hey I am a teacher!)
Thanks again!cheap health insurance in california.

January 16, 2006 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger JanetD said...

Well I just got back from karate lessons and I am so tired. I am currently doing some research for college and came across your blog. Which makes me laugh really. The internet can certainly bring you in the opposite direction. Even though your blog site is not completely related I think your doing a great job. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very valid points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at cheap florida health insurance. If you have the energy swing by our site. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job! Sincerely cheap florida health insurance.

January 19, 2006 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger manseauR said...

I honestly must say this is the best blog I have ever come across. I am not just saying that to kiss your butt! I am studying for my master degrees and spent the last 12 hours (and 12 cups of java) researching this area topic. Many blogs have generic information but yours is different. I can actually apply some of this information to my studies. No worries I will give you full credit in my references section. I took it upon myself to add you to my favorites and will visit back to let you know how my grade ends up. Thanks so much from!florida low cost health insurance.

March 5, 2006 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog sure gets quite a few comments. I'm going to read thru your posts and see why you are generating so much interest. Bye. Ms. San Diego dentists

March 8, 2006 at 12:47 AM  
Anonymous no cost to make money said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my no cost to make money site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

July 4, 2006 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger Erik Mann said...

another great post...cool blog...erik

August 11, 2006 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a canadian auto insurance quote online site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

August 15, 2006 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!

http://ephedra-moza.blogspot.com/
Bye

December 4, 2006 at 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day!
Keep up this great resource.
I like it a lot! Good work, keep it up. You have to look at this too.

Try this - very useful:
http://clonazepam.butkel1.org/ clonazepam

Thank's!

December 14, 2006 at 3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://adipex-hb4356d.blogspot.com/
Good Luck!

January 13, 2007 at 5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://tramadol-sqllt.blogspot.com/
Dont forget!

February 4, 2007 at 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

February 20, 2007 at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home